Name / Rain
(Jung, Ji-Hoon) (Korean-bi)
RAIN (Real name: Jung Ji-hoon (Hangeul: 정지훈, Hanja: 鄭智薰), born June, 25 1982) is a male Korean pop singer, dancer, model, and actor. Rain, also known as Bi (pronounced as bee), is an R&B/hip hop artist from South Korea who is now popular and famous throughout all of East Asia. Not only does he sing and dance, but he has also starred in three Korean dramas, one Korean movie, and has modeled for such things as Ralph Lauren and Giordano. Because of the style of his music and dance, he has been called the Asian Usher and even the Asian Justin Timberlake.
Rain began as a member of the boy band “Fanclub”, a 6 member Korean boy band during the late 1990’s. After the group disbanded, Rain wished to continue his career as a dancer and after many rejections at different auditions he finally entered JYP Entertainment. Park Jin Young himself, the company’s CEO, became interested in young Rain and took him under his wing.
Rain debuted in 2002 with his first album. nappun namja, also known by fans as Bad Guy, the third track from this first album, was a huge hit. He took a short break after his debut album to star in the 2003 drama series Sangdoo! Let’s Go To School, as the main character Sang Doo.
Following this, Rain released his second album, How to Avoid The Sun. The title song, Ways to Avoid The Sun, was yet another hit.
In 2004 Rain starred in another drama series, Full House, as the male lead Lee Young-Jae. Full House became one of the highest rated Korean dramas, and aired in many other Asian countries (including the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, China and Japan). Through this, Rain gained many fans from all across Asia. His performance in Full House also won the Best Actor Award at the KBS Acting Awards.
2004 also saw the release of Rain’s third album, It’s Raining. This album has sold over 1 million copies, making it Rain’s most successful album so far. His first concert, Rainy Day, which was held in Korea and Japan, was sold out on the very first day. 2004 also saw Rain win the MTV Asia Grand Slam.
In 2005, Rain won Favorite Korean Artist at the 2005 MTV Asia Aid, Most Popular Asian Artist Award from Channel [V], Best Buzz Asia Award at the MTV Japan Video Music Awards 2005, and Best Korean Singer Award in the MTV-CCTV Mandarin Music Honors in both Beijing and Taiwan. He was the first Asian performer to ever be invited to the 2005 American MTV Video Music Awards in Miami, and the 2005 MTV Latin Video Music Awards in Mexico. He also received interviews with Time Magazine Asian Edition, and CNN Talk Asia.
Rain’s next tour, RAINY DAY 2005 Tour, starting in Seoul and then going to Tokyo and Hong Kong, sold out even quicker than the first had. Rainy Day Japan, held at the Tokyo International Forum, sold out in 30 seconds. Tickets for the Hong Kong performances sold out in just a few hours.
In the midst of all this, Rain somehow found time in 2005 to star in another Korean drama series, A Love To Kill, as the main male character Kang Bokgu.
In 2005, Rain was invited with Korean singer Lim Jeong Hee to be featured in the song The Perfect Interaction by Taiwanese star Wang Leehom.
His two day concert in 2006, Rainy Day New York, held in Madison Square Garden, sold out in a matter of days. Special guests who made stage appearances at the Rainy Day New York concert include his mentor and producer JYP, and American stars JoJo, Omarion (dancing for Rain’s song nappun namja) and P. Diddy. His two day concert in Las Vegas, Nevada, held on the 23rd and 24th of December 2006, sold out within the first week.
In 2006, Time Magazine voted Rain the 2nd most influential artist of 2006. And in this same year, Rain not only recorded a duet song with Omarion, Man Up, but also released his first three Japanese singles, Sad Tango, Free Way and Move On, and then first Japanese album, Eternal Rain, as well as his first digital single, Still Believe, which was to help promote BMW.
If this wasn’t enough of a busy year for Rain, he also starred as the lead male role in I’m A Cyborg, But It’s Okay, his debut in the film industry, and released his fourth album Rain’s World, and then kicked off his Rain’s Coming Tour, which took him all across Asia and into America.
Rain setup his own entertainment company named J.Tune after his contract ended with JYPE entertainment. He also created his own clothing brand named Six To Five and ready to break into the fashion market. His 5th album was the first album produced after he left JYPE and the album name was created by Rain called Rainism. Rain participated in writing lyrics and composing for this album and this album made a huge sales in Korea.
Rain’s first main cast Hollywood movie “Ninja Assassin” will be in theaters around the World in 2009 and he is also planning to release his first American album in 2009.
Credits to Wikipedia, Kome-world
and J.Tune Entertainment
“Korea Image Stepping Stone Award 2008″ given by
the Corea Image Communication Institute
MTV Asia’s “Artist of the Month” (January)
Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People Who
Shape the World Award
MTV Asia Awards - Favorite Artist Korea
The 40th Baek Sang Arts Grand Awards - Popularity
Award of TV Part
M.NET Male Artist Award
M.NET Music Video Festival - New Artist Award
Below are some
interesting things about Rain
- His fans are referred as “Clouds”
- His international fan club name is “THE CLOUD”
- He said if there is no CLOUD, then there is no Rain.
- He interested in dancing when he was in 6th grade.
- His teenager time idol was Michael Jackson.
- He has a younger sister named, Hanna.
- He went through very difficult times during his teens period, because lack of money so he was starved.
- His mother passed away because of illness before He debuted.
- His mother last words to him before she passed away is - she told him to look after his sister well and He promised her mother.
- He feels sad that he doesn’t have chance to buy her mother good food and take her on a plane to travel.
- He would visit and talk in front of her mother’s cemetery before his album or drama releases.
- He viewed his mother as his religion, someone who he believes always with him at all times.
- His school academic results wasn’t very good because he skipped classes to practice dancing.
- He studied very hard to pass the college entrance exam and accepted into college.
- He was training under JYP Entertainment for 3 years, debuted on April 24, 2002.
- When He was a trainee, he often dance in the subway and buses openly trying to compose the dance steps that fits with his music.
- His 1st album hit song “Bad Guy” choreography was done by himself.
- He promised to be a son that his mother would proud of and his wish came true when he received the grand award “2004 Artist of the Year” from KBS and at the same year his popularity spread over Asia because of his big hit drama “Full House” and his 3rd album “It’s Raining”.
- His previous management company is JYP Entertainment which is owe by his long time trainer, Park Jin Young.
- He ended the contract with JYP Entertainment in the year 2007.
- He started his own entertainment company and he came up with the name called J.Tune Entertainment in the year 2007.
- His fan club is managed by the “CLOUD MASTER”.
- His official debuted in Hollywood is the movie “Speed Racer” and his character name is Taejo, this movie was in theatres on May 9, 2008 in America.
- He nominated into TIME 100 “The Most Influential” poll for total 3 times (year 2006, 2007 and 2008).
- He was selected as one of “The Most Beautiful People” in the world by PEOPLE magazine year 2007.
- He was invited to Stephen Colbert’s “The Colbert Report” show and performed a dance battle live recording in New York studio on April 28, 2008.
- One of his dream is to become a designer.
- He said negative comments often become a motivation for him to work harder to prove himself.
- He held fan meeting with his fans once a year in Seoul, and some years he would held another fan meeting in Japan for the Japanese Clouds.
- He know how to say phrases like “Hi, I’m Rain.”, “How are you”, “Thank you”, “I Love You”, in Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Thai, and maybe more…etc.
- He has a strong desire to the U.S. market.
- He said he studies English 2 hours a day.
- He watched “Prison Break” to help him learn English.
- His “Must-Have” item is his ipod, he listens to music everywhere he goes.
- His traditional “airport” look would include his cap/beanie and his sun glasses (now you know how to spot him =)
- He likes to carry different models of “LV” bags around, mostly seen when he is at the airport.
- His nickname is “Kolly” (puppy).
- He love dogs especially his own.
- He likes to play “Star craft” video game on his mini LG notebook.
- He likes to play bowling, he said it helps him release his stress.
- He is good at swimming.
- He love eating, especially Korean food and he said his favorite is Kimchi.
- His ideal lady is someone who cooks well, who is long-hair, kind and pretty.
- He is shy and quiet in front of people he doesn’t know, but with his friends he becomes talkative and active.
- He would watch movies and listen to music during his free time.
- One of his unique hobby is collecting shoes, clothing and accessories.
- About his eye, this is what he said, “When I was young, I hated my eyes. There were many times when I wanted to go get my double eyelids surgically done, but the plastic surgeon felt that my small eyes were kind special, so he won’t do it for me. Who would know that these pair of eyes helped many people to remember me? Now to think of it, it’s lucky I didn’t go through the operation.”
- He love his lips because his friends said he has very full lips and they look very sexy.
- When he is busy with his work and didn’t groom his hair, he would wear hats to cover his hair, and he said he thinks he is pretty good looking with wearing hats.
- Most people looked at his body would say “he is sexy”.
- He said he love his fans (Clouds).
- 3rd album, “It’s Raining” image was designed by himself.
- His 1st world tour, “Rainy Day” happened 3 years after his debut at a age of 23.
- He held over 50 concert shows in his 2 world tours (Raining Day and Rain’s Coming).
- He endorsed close to 50 commercial products over Asia.
- He was described by the public as “cute face”, “sexy body”, “handsome looking”, “very hard-working artist” and a “world star”.
October 16, 2008 [ Vol.5 - Rainism ]
October 13, 2006 [ Vol.4 - Rain's World ]
September 13, 2006 [ 1st Japanese Album - Eternal Rain ]
October 8, 2004 [ Vol.3 - It's Raining ]
October 16, 2003 [ Vol.2 - Rain2 ]
May 12, 2002 [ Debut - Vol. 1 N001 ]
1st Live Concert <RAINY DAY> 2005 - 2006 toured in South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, New York and Thailand.
<Rain’s Coming World Tour> 2006 - 2007 toured in South Korea, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Australia, Japan, Thailand and China.